Thursday, February 07, 2008

Man, I Was Trippin'

Did you read the debut article on this blog?

You didn't?

Oh. Well, I'll bring you up to speed in one sentence: my dumb a** thought I had a chance in hell to run a 10-mile race. With three months of training.

What the hell was I thinking??? I mean, I really thought I could train for and run a 10-mile frickin' race that takes place in April. Of this year.

No, I'm not on drugs.

I finally got a much-needed dose of reality last Monday when I went running after work in the neighborhood adjacent to my job. Along with a buddy of mine, I was all set to do a solid mile non-stop. You know,
crawl before I walk. After about five minutes of running, I felt like I could barely walk. He kept telling me, "C'mon, make it to the stop sign (which was maybe 20 feet away but seemed like 300 yards), but I was in agonizing, alternating pain.

When my shins didn't hurt, my lungs were hurting. I assume from the constant inhaling and exhaling. I (barely) finished the distance...a good mile and a half, but I truly just wanted to just lay down on the sidewalk and go to sleep.

"Is it morning already!?"

I was, physically, feeling so bad and thinking, "How the hell am I going to be able to add 8.5 more miles to my distance within three months???" Didn't sound to realistic so I had to go to the Internet to find information to confirm this notion. Sure enough, some experts suggest training 18 months for a marathon (26.2 miles)...I figure I should give myself about a year to do 10 miles...I mean, I am severely out of shape.

So I am going to do the 5K (3.1 miles) instead. Now, I can train to complete that distance. I figure, training to run that race will kick start my year-long training to complete the 10-mile race in April '09. I feel bad for not sticking to it, but if it's impossible then it's just damn impossible.

1 comment:

Angie Jones said...

ROFL! *raises hand* I told you this on DAY 1! No one ever listens to me lol.