Friday, January 30, 2009

Friday Rant: "Shut the Hell Up!"

I've coached youth league soccer for close to five years now (damn, I'm getting old...) and have enjoyed every moment of it - except for something that irked me as I went to watch one of my soccer players play in a basketball game.

(Yes, I'm such the dedicated coach, aren't I?)

Parents.

Not just any parents, though. Specifically, the know-it-all parent.

The parent who would've been the coach...but, oh uhh cannot give up the time due to work...or, who's only there to help if necessary.

Yet, as soon as they are at their child's game, they turn into Bob Knight and are yelling instructions to not only their own kid (damn the scheme the coach has come up with), but at the other kids on the field/court as well.

I can look past this...to a certain extent.

I get ridiculously peeved, though, at the parent who is overly critical of their child as if he or she is the second coming of Ronaldinho or Tyler Hansbrough.

"You should've been there (kid's name)! That was your fault!"

No lie, I have been at games and heard parents tell their kid this. Tragic. That's when I turn around and say, "Dude, your fat-a**, slow, uncoordinated kid is not on the cusp of greatness! Take it easy!"

OK. I never say this...but I sure think it often when I am at games where a parent or parents are going nuts. These kids just want to have fun - that's the number one rule of every soccer team I've ever coached. These kids should not have to deal with the pressure of remembering what their coach has instructed them to do and live up to the (unrealistic) expectations of an overzealous parent.

I'm not trying to be harsh on this type of parent. I'm just trying to help them help their kid. If you're a parent who suffers from this problem, here's a tip that you should adhere to the next time you're at your kid's game: cheer for your kid and his team or simply...SHUT THE HELL UP!

No comments: